Saturday 16 April 2011

"Why do you wear dead people's clothes?"

This is a question my father asks me frequently because of my love for op-shopping. A love he loathes. It's so much more fun than normal shopping though! In a normal shop you look at racks and racks of the same clothes and then, with me anyway, they either fit awkwardly or don't fit at all and then I leave frustrated out of my wits. Don't get me wrong; I'll buy a cute basic shirt from temt (yeah, I know), a basic solid dress from Kmart (I KNOW, I KNOW) and definitely pants come from your everyday stores but I get way more excited going bargain hunting in weird smelling stores with old ladies in odd jumpers, sitting behind the counter.

I have to confess, however, that I'm not especially good at op-shopping. My skillz have improved, yes, but I have spent much moniez on stuff I don't wear because it looked "interesting" at the time but then I have nothing to wear it with or it wasn't really that great to begin with. And that's the thing with thrifting/op-shopping/whatever-you want-to-call-it, sometimes I have a vague idea of what I want but most of the times I'll walk in, something will catch my and I'll just buy it and figure out what I want to do with it later. THAT IS FUN! Is it not? Is it not?

There are only three op-shops in Albury and they are mostly over priced. I've heard that over the bridge, in Wodonga, there's a glorious GIANT Salvo's simply WAITING to be pillaged. I shall investigate this soon! Oh, and one other problem: I have found some very unique and totally awesome pieces but I am afraid of wearing them in Albury. I generally don't like to draw attention to myself in any way and wearing the awesome massive bright red pants that I found for a dollar to work or uni would certainly garner looks I am not ready to deal with. I can't wait to graduate and move away! :) (Oh, I yearn for the day I will actually sound twenty-two and not eighteen!)

Okay, so, this is supposed to be an outfit post. Urghhh. I feel like a tool doing this and not because I think badly of outfit posts. I love outfit posts and maybe I kind of feel like the stuff I wear is not really worth showing. BUT ANYWAY WHATEVER SHUT UP, JOYEETA.

Here's what I wore to werq today:

 I really like this dress. Sometimes it looks like a van Gogh painting to me. See how the swirly blue-toned colours are playing with little twirls of yellow and white (<-- technical "art" speak)? Pretty! It's actually a skirt that came with a green jacket-y/blazer thing (that I haven't worn yet) and I was going to have it taken up but inspiration struck and now it has become one of my very favourite dresses :) I think this is where I break down my outfit and stuff...

Dress: thrifted skirt worn as a dress.
Belt: awesome fishie belt also thrifted. I'm going to post a close-up picture of it and you mightn't be able to see it but the buckle is a bright gold and enamel with swirly cream coloured eyes and fins and kind of sparkly. I dunno. It's pretty great though.
Cardigan: I bought this from a place called Bongo Bazaar in Bangladesh which is sort of like Trade Secrets but instead of a store it's more like a labyrinth of stalls and there is much haggling thus making it a bajillion times cheaper than Trade Secrets! I wear it alllllll the timeeeeeeee. So comfy and basic and it goes with errthang. (note: sometimes I break into misguided ebonics)
Tights:  probably from Safeway (I'm probs breaking some sort of cardinal rule of outfit blogging by admitting I buy hosiery from Safeway).
Shoes: I got them at Bakers from when I went to America. It was a last minute very haphazard purchase but I loves them nao :D
Earrings: not visible in the picture but I wore unicorn earrings from Diva.

Shall we take a gander at some close ups? (Yes, we shall)

Kinda van Gogh-y, non?

I can't rotate this for some reason. stupid technology! :(


It's nothing extraordinary but most of this outfit was super cheap and just kinda pretty and stuff. Man. Now I feel like it's totes boring. WHATEVER, I NEED TO STOP BEING SO NEUROTIC CAPSLOCK! Also, Excuse the hair.

OH, I stayed up late and watched Avatar for the first time (half of it anyway) and I haz muy regretz because not only was it terrible but it made me a zombie for work and then I undercharged a lady and everything was going wrong so then I just read a book and waited for 4pm and had awesome e-mail times with my twin-frandship Michael who is probably reading this. HI MICHAEL!

Anyhoodlink, I have to go eat some fried sweet potatoes now. BYE!

4 comments:

  1. HIIII!

    I am bad at shopping for myself and pick interesting things I never wear as well. I loved us on Chapel Street Bazaar though, almnost everything I pulled out of the racks made you jump up and down lol. We have to go back!

    I think I like your pose and expression most of all :) gold bits are always good though.

    I had to google Ebonics. And my fave line? "There's a glorious GIANT Salvo's simply WAITING to be pillaged" - You sound like the viking version of Trinny or Susannah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIIIIIII!!!!

    Confession: I *hate* going shopping with other people but it was SO MUCH fun with you. Yes, have to do it again totes!

    Man, a Viking helmet would be a cool accessory ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey joyeeeeetargh!

    yeayness miss your bloging! i like the unicorn photo! so cute! yeah, don't mind me sounding asian cos i think i might have assimilated back home already. :(

    wearing a viking helmet & luggig a bag to uni would be a grand sight to see. i'd buy a ticket to albury just to see that.

    have a graet wkend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will do it if you come Albury, I SWEAR I WILL!

    ReplyDelete